Schoolgirl awarded €17,500 for injury due to discarded syringe in hotel bedclothes
A schoolgirl who was injured by a discarded syringe needle in the bedclothes of her Dublin hotel has been awarded €17,500 in the Circuit Civil Court.
The court heard as Amy Kane (then 12) was settling into bed at Castleknock Travel Lodge, Dublin, on June 6th, 2009, she was pricked on the elbow by the needle in the bed linen. Amy, Dundonald, Belfast, was taken to the hotel reception, where first aid was applied to a bleeding wound on her arm.
Circuit Court president Mr Justice Matthew Deery was told that after returning home the next day, Amy attended her GP in Northern Ireland. Tests were later carried out at the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald to see if she had contracted a blood-borne disease.
Mr Justice Deery heard she had to wait three months for test results, which were negative for hepatitis and HIV.