A three-year-old girl suffered nightmares after gardaí had attempted to enter her home by force at night, a judge was told yesterday.
Ruby Whearity was upstairs with her mother when gardaí had been let into her home by her father in January last year, only for them to find they were in the wrong house.
Barrister Bebhin Sparks told the Circuit Civil Court that a garda had gone upstairs and there were others in the house and garden, before they realised they had attempted to enter the “incorrect address.”
She told Mr Justice Matthew Deery that liability with regard to the error was not an issue and while Ruby, whose home is in Chapel Close, Balbriggan, Co Dublin, had been extremely distressed by the incident, her anxieties had resolved within a matter of months.
Ms Sparks said Ruby, who is now aged four, had … Read More »
HIGH COURT: A 34-year-old female garda, who was stunned when an intoxicated woman she was searching punched her on the nose, has been awarded more than €5,000 in damages at a High Court Garda compensation hearing.
Garda Shauna Keane, of Cappahard, Tulla Road, Ennis, Co Clare, told Ms Justice Mary Irvine that she was searching a woman in a private room when the prisoner lashed out at her.
Garda Keane said she had been stationed in Waterford Road Garda station, Cork city, on November 3rd, 2005, when she was called to a disturbance at Gurranabraher, where three prisoners, including the woman, were being held. Garda Keane said she suffered a lot of pain to her face and nose and had been off work for six weeks. Her doctor had referred her to an ear, nose and throat specialist who had carried out … Read More »
THE FAMILY of a woman whose lung cancer was only detected after her death have accused the hospital where she died of “systems failure” and of dismissing their concerns during the woman’s final days.
An inquest into the death of Teresa Doyle (50), Marian Avenue, Carrick-on-Suir, Co Tipperary, heard she died from a rare form of lung cancer that can be difficult to detect but her niece was told in the weeks before she died cancer was “not on the radar” as far as the doctors were concerned.
Evidence was given that Ms Doyle was treated for uterine cancer in 1997, was a lifelong smoker and was admitted to South Tipperary General Hospital in Clonmel in May 2007, suffering shortness of breath, vomiting, severe pains, inability to swallow food, dehydration and fainting.
It was her third admission to the hospital since April 24th, … Read More »